Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Dragons and a King's Love

So this post is a little different today. I had a fantastic dream last night. In fact I haven’t had this great of a dream in a long time. It was so cool I had to write it down before I forgot it.
It seemed like a cool enough story to share so here it is….
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It felt real. I was in a fantastical world that was back in the ages of knights, castles, and dragons. The colors were vibrant, colorful, and the smells were fresh on the wind. Honor was revered, and strength was acknowledged for being greater when restrained.

A terrible reign by a fearful and greedy king had finally been overturned. And in his place ruled a strong, just, and peaceful king. He was a good man and respected by every one. A man of the people, he would interact with his subjects’ daily. When he wasn’t working along side them in the fields, he was riding in his royal carriage, led by gallant steeds, overseeing his kingdom. The land suffered no want and each man was content and satisfied.

Suddenly there were dragons everywhere. They were menacing and unruly. Of the dragons, the biggest   dragon went straight for the castle. I knew the king along with the kingdom was in trouble. Suddenly, I’m face to face with a dragon. The dragon snaps his jaws at me. I thrust my arms out trying to grab hold of his jaws and keep him arms length away. But, I know my own strength will not last holding him away from me. Someone else, a friend, is on top of the dragon and tells me to jump on its head. I sum up the courage and do it. I jump and, at the same time, the dragon lunges forward. With a twisted flip I land safely on his head. My hands still on the dragon’s head, I realize that his head goes in whichever direction I steer it. Suddenly I realize, this isn’t a bad dragon after all. I pat his neck beneath where I’m sitting and the dragon responds with an affectionate purr.

The giant dragon meanwhile is quickly climbing the towers of the castle and laying waste to everything around him. I know there is only one shot to taking this monstrosity down. I have a weapon, a missile of some sort. It’s similar to an arrow but with the directional and explosive power of a guided torpedo. 

With the assistance of my new dragon comrade, I aim and fire. A successful hit! The giant dragon lets go his hold on the towers and begins his descent to the earth. As he’s falling from the sky I see the King’s carriage running out of the gates just seconds before the dragon crashes into the courtyard. But, he’s not completely safe yet. Suddenly smaller dragons surround the carriage.
I hurry over and, with my own dragon's help, scare them off and defeat them. I find out from them that they’ve been sent as an attack from the overthrown enemy king.

The fight has almost subsided by this point. Others are courageously taking up the fight and regaining control of the kingdom.

But, things are not over. Night falls and an eerie moonlight covers the land. I have a bad feeling that we need to take cover for safety. There seem to be enemies lurking about in the darkness. My new dragon comrade and I find a tall tree to roost in for the night. A giant wise owl is already there sitting, watching. We wait the night and eat a small ration of food for our dinner. The tree is so heavy with our weight that it sways back and forth with the wind. Then, a giant flood comes rushing across the land. Thankfully, we’re high enough to be safe. Eventually, the flood waters slowly recede. The giant owl eventually flies away and I know it's safe to come down from the tree.

After we’re safe on the ground again, I receive a hand written message from the King thanking me for my contribution, self sacrifice, and courage. His and the kingdom’s safety is owed to my service. I am honored among the kingdom, and he bestows me his eternal favor.

I always knew He was a good king, but now I experience for myself how good he actually was. And, I knew that I loved him. I knew that when, in the future, when we ever meet, he would love me too. I make a decision to go on a quest to request the presence of the king. I’m on the opposite side of the country, so I know it will take a long journey to get there. I’m a knight and I feel strong and noble. I know that if I request the King’s presence, it will be granted. 

Suddenly I’m pulled away. My life changes time and location. The kingdom, king, and my dragon still exist, but it’s like I jumped across a time wrinkle into a far less exciting world and time. Where nothing exciting happens, because they don’t believe it can and that’s just not how it’s done. The colors are dull and the smell musty. Though I can’t exactly remember a time before being in the kingdom, I know I’ve been in this place before. I’m returning here, and I don’t like it. I already greatly miss my kingdom. I realize my journey back just got longer than I ever anticipated.

I look around me and realize I’m surrounded by people, some my own age. Within an instant, through their conversation and glares, I realize how pessimistic, haughty, and snobbish they all are. Fearfully judgmental, they’re all against each other.
But, have I a story for them!

Excitedly I tell them about the journey I just came back from: a land of dragons, floods, and a king’s personal recommendation. They laughed and sneered at me. I desperately tried to convince them, sharing that the most exciting thing was that I loved the King and knew that he loved me too. They asked me to prove it. I rummage through my papers, and can’t seem to find it. All I can find are once meaningful, now meaningless, awards and accolades of accomplishment. They’re awards I’d forgotten about, awards I received in my time here before going to the kingdom. But, I didn’t care about them anymore. They all seemed dull and meaningless. All that mattered to me now was that recommendation from the king from that vibrant kingdom.

Before I find it, the people mock me for my rediculous imagination, and walk off sneering. After rummaging a while longer, I find it, the last paper in my hand. I look at it and realize it looks much duller in this world’s light. Even though when I received it, it was beautiful beyond compare. It does not matter. I know who it's from and what it’s worth even if those people that walked off don’t.

I don’t know how, but I know that I’ll get to go back there one day. And when I arrive before the King, welcomed into his presence, I will recognize him and he will recognize me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment