Wednesday, March 30, 2011

21 Minutes

It's not raining, but misting,
and I hear the dropping of accumulated condensation outside my window.
There are car door slams out in the parking lot.
The beeping of cars as they are locked.
Passengers and drivers talking as they leave their cars for the apartments.
A seemingly endless concession of car honks-- of passing cars with revving engines.
I hadn't realized how often this happens, or the fact that it annoys me so much.
I hear my room mates are talking in their room--agitatedly.
I can't tell if they are angry or happy.
Just thinking that they might be angry puts me on edge.
I hear the occupants on the floor above me. I thought I heard crying-- again.
I don't like it. It makes me sad.
Then there is silence.
Not really, I just have to pay more attention.
If I listen hard enough,
I can hear the air system in the apartment and my computer quietly humming.
The sounds of the highway are never far off. It almost sounds like the wind coming in waves.
The sounds of surrounding apartments come back but they are so distorted. I could swear I heard a dog barking, but I can't be sure. Pets aren't allowed.
Someone must be having a good time, I hear whoops and hollers from somewhere in the complex. It's only Wednesday. I am envious of their seemingly enjoyment filled evening. The footsteps above are getting heavier making the ceiling and adjacent walls creek.
Beethoven 9 is going through my head.
It's almost hard to hear what's actually going on around me.
A final car door slams, with footsteps following the sidewalk,
and my time is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment