Monday, September 3, 2012

Laborless Days

So, today is Labor Day, and in America that means we celebrate by NOT doing labor. In addition to thinking about all the yummy things to eat and fun people to hang out with, I'm thinking about Art and Soul Bible Study on Wednesday. Why am I thinking about my little Bible study on campus? Well, on Wednesday I get to lead it.

Commence incremental and progressive stress.

Not really. But sorta.

This has been on my heart to do for a while.
But, when it gets down to it, I don't think wanting to do it makes it any easier.

I was (and still am) that student in college who did everything in their power to get out of and avoid aural class presentations. I will write papers twice as long as anyone else in the class if that means I don't have to talk in front of the class. I have done 3 in my entire almost 7 year college career: Dostoevsky's Underground in Western Thought, Elementary Particles in Quantum Physics, and John Adams in 20th Century Music History. In grade school I did one presentation about Alligators and Crocodiles. But, that was in the 5th grade and in front of my mother. I still wound up crying and running to my room afterwards.

In the end, I see those decisions to get out of presenting as poor choices on my part. I realize this and acknowledge it freely. That was a dumb choice for my education. Let's find something I'm afraid of and not good at and run from it in an environment intended for learning. Instead I should have been taking the challenge to learn, improve, and adjust. Well, I'm starting that now. Or, I guess, on Wednesday.

But, talking about something I am passionate about should be easy. Or, so they say. I've been praying all week that God would help me figure out what I should talk about: the ocean, waves, gospel, Levites, art as sacrifice. All very vague and undeveloped. It's like I spent the weekend reading 2nd Chronicles at the beach. Oh, wait, maybe that's because I did.

I know what I need to do: point to Jesus, show where we are, where we need to be, follow up with Grace, and end with the freedom God gave us to live how He intended us to live.

So I'll be starting on that today. On my laborless day.
God is good. God is good all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment