Saturday, May 26, 2012

What's in a name?

I know I'm not in the least bit consistent with writing on here, but when the the inspiration comes, I go with it. I just finished reading a blog about names being prophetic. The line between the name making the person and the person making the name can be blurry. Either way I would agree that it seems to happen, and I think it's pretty cool.

I periodically think about the meaning of my name, but lately I've been thinking about it a lot. In fact, it's been a big part of my prayer life. Growing up, my parents were good to remind me why they named me what they did. When my mother was pregnant with me she came across:
Isaiah 55:12 "For you will go out with joy and be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, and the trees of the fields will clap their hands."
I was named after joy and peace.

All that said, I think it's pretty empowering knowing God had this name for me. I want to actively live my name, so that when people see me they see they see the attributes of God. It's a pretty tall order, but that's what I'm praying for.

So, I know what I was named after. But, my parents still had to choose a name to fit those attributes. So, what do the names my parents chose mean?

Rachel- Little Lamb, gentle innocence, poetically: beautiful, well-favored,


Lindsay- My mother told me growing up it meant, refreshing stream. The camp near the stream, from the Linden Tree Island. I had no idea what a linden tree was so I looked them up. Jimmy's blog had something on trees too. Apparently the language of flowers lists American Linden meaning matrimony. Interesting...


Fellows- is a name given to a friend and comrade. From the Old English word Feolaza, it means partner or shareholder. If this isn't good enough, my favorite part is the surname motto: Patience and Perseverance with Magnanimity.


I love how perseverance is the core of what my Scottish heritage motto is: Disce Pati which means learn to suffer. A better translation is learn to endure.

I don't know about you, but I love definitions. Fellows had some big words that are worth delving into and processing.
 
pa·tience
1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to have patience with a slow learner.
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience.

per·se·ver·ance   
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2. Theology . continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.

mag·nan·i·mous   
1. generous in forgiving an insult or injury; free from petty resentfulness or vindictiveness: to be magnanimous toward one's enemies.
2. high-minded; noble: a just and magnanimous ruler.
3. proceeding from or revealing generosity or nobility of mind, character, etc.: a magnanimous gesture of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment